AP Mentoring is a new teacher-to-teacher support program for teachers of all experience levels, which connects teachers interested in enhancing their practice with mentor teachers who have deep knowledge of AP and a record of student success.
By connecting mentees with outstanding mentors—and by doing so in a convenient online format—AP provides ongoing support that is accessible and timely.
In 2017–18, the program will be offered to AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature and Composition and AP U.S. History teachers. If you’re looking to further develop your practice, strengthen student performance, better understand how to teach to AP requirements or supplement skills you’ve learned at an AP Summer Institute, we encourage you to sign up for AP Mentoring.
How does AP Mentoring work?
- The program runs from fall 2017 through July 2018.
- Each mentee teacher collaborates with a group of up to three other mentees and one mentor. The groups meet online monthly, completing a total of twelve sessions over the course of the school year, with short assignments between sessions.
- Sessions take place through a video chat program provided by AP. A mentoring platform allows groups to share documents and schedule sessions.
- Mentees work with their mentors to identify areas of focus. Support may include practice in:
- Designing instructional experiences that help students do well in of AP
- Understanding challenging content and skills
- Applying best practices in teaching and learning
- Identifying resources to support content and instruction
- Persisting through challenges
- Collaborating with mentors and other mentees on lesson plans and strategies
Benefits to teachers
- Research has shown that recurring forms of professional support aligned with teacher needs and student work, such as mentoring, are highly effective in supporting teachers' practice.
- Mentees are active participants. They work with their mentors to analyze their own teaching practice, monitor student performance, and modify instructional practice.
- Online mentoring provides teachers located anywhere in the country—including rural areas—with personalized feedback throughout the school year that can be immediately applied in the classroom.
- For full participation (at least 11 out of 12 sessions) in AP Mentoring, teachers will receive a certificate indicating that they have earned 2.2 continuing education units.
Benefits to schools and districts
- Mentee teachers will be better able to prepare their students for success on the AP Exam by focusing their teaching practice on difficult concepts and by making use of the tools and resources the AP Program provides.
- Schools and districts can strengthen and/or expand their AP programs by building the capacity of their current AP teachers or supporting the addition of AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature and Composition and/or AP U.S. History.
- Teachers within a district can be assigned to the same mentoring cohort to facilitate collaboration.
How are mentees and mentors matched?
- Mentee teachers are grouped with other teachers within their subjects who have similar self-identified areas of interest or need.
- Mentee teachers with up to two years of AP teaching experience are grouped together in order to provide focused support as they build knowledge of the AP Program; likewise, more experienced teachers will be grouped together to share strategies and best practices.
- Customized groupings are available upon request.
- Based upon availability, we aim to match mentee groups with mentors from the same region of the country who have similar meeting time preferences (weekdays, weeknights, or weekends).
Pricing for AP Mentoring
AP Mentoring prices are for a full year (twelve sessions) of mentoring. Tiered pricing is available to districts, schools, and teachers, as follows:
|Full price, per teacher||$895|
|-10% for College Board members||$806|
|-10% for signing up four or more teachers from the same district or school||$806|
|-20% for College Board members signing up four or more teachers from the same district or school||$716|
Registration for the 2017-18 AP Mentoring program will begin in February 2017. If you are interested in learning more about or purchasing the program, complete the AP Mentoring interest form and a representative will follow up with you when registration begins.
If you have additional questions, please contact the AP Mentoring team at firstname.lastname@example.org.